So I was happily starting up a tutorial on MVC 3 with all the lastest and greatest CRUD options. I have been a bit removed from this technology for a while, so I was pumped and ready to be wow’ed by the amazing-ness that is MVC. Well I had my excited deflated quickly when I ran into this really cryptic error. Before I get into this, I’ll just say cut me some slack I had been over on the LAMP side of some Open Source eCommerce Platforms for just under a year.
Here is the tutorial I was running through which was causing me fits. I was completely fine until I tried to load the magical Controller which linked to the database. Here is the step right before emminant doom.
Ok to the meat of the matter here, the error was…
Could not load file or assembly ‘file:///H:Visual Studio 2010ProjectsMVCMoviesMvcMoviesbinMvcMovie.dll’ or one of its dependencies. Operation is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131515)
Well this doesn’t tell me much and again being new to MVC in general I didn’t know how to debug this. Even worse this error is hard to search on because the dll’s file name is custom to the project. Gross. So after a lot of googling I tried a couple other ideas. Turns out the problem is with the file path… note the “file:///H:Visual Studio 2010” is a mapped network drive on my companies servers. Well I moved the project to a local folder on my machine’s hard drive (anywhere in C: should probably work) and it quickly fixed the issue.
You can quickly verify if this is the issue by closing the project and re-opening it. This error came right up.